St Micheal’s Church
St Micheal’s Church prior to sandblasting
St Micheal’s Church after sandblasting
St Micheal’s Church in 2013
Parish School 1842
Grade II listed building
National school erected for St Leonard’s Church by Reverend Richard Dunford (later Bishop of Chichester). Extended 1892 by Reverend T.E. Cleworth. Last used as a school in 1979.
Nature’s Nursery, Long Street, Middleton
Middleton Gardens Blue Plaque Middleton Gardens and Suffield Square 1934 Formerly the location of the Corn Mill Lodge, and part of the Gardens of Middle-ton Hall. Established as Central Gardens in 1934 by Middleton Borough Council. Suffield Square was named after the Suffield Family of Gunton, Norfolk, absentee Lord of the Manor of Middleton 1765-1848. (As…
St Leonard’s Square
Once the focal point for the old town which before the Industrial Revolution occupied the ridge towards Rochdale. Nearby street names – High Street and Cheapside – identify the old town. Cottage silk weaving was practised in the surrounding area.
St Leonard’s Church, Middleton
Old Market Place 1791
Facing this plaque was the Old Market Place. Lord Suffield obtained a Market Charter from George III in 1791 to hold a weekly market and three annual fairs. Suffield built warehouses, a market house and shambles at his own expense.
27 Long Street, Middleton