Crimble MillCrimble Mill in Heywood
Crimble Mill became Grade II listed 15th December 1967, now empty since the closure of the Roe Acre Dying Company. Identified by English Heritage as an historic building at risk and has also officially classified the condition of the Crimble Mill as “poor”. “It retains rare water wheel housing but the roof is leaking and the upper levels are decaying”
The Mill today, built in the 19th century, is a grade II listed building and has been given a category C priority by English Heritage, in January 1995 Rochdale Council’s own buildings at risk register also classified the mill’s condition as “poor”.
The original cotton mill was built in c1829 for Charles Stott. The land was owned by the Kenyon family in 1761 who had a water powered fulling mill on the site. Charles Stott built the present mill for cotton spinning and in the 1850s it was converted to the latest invention steam power.
In 1859 the Kenyons bought the mill back. The site is special for the continuity of occupation by the Kenyon firm.
Following the cotton famine (4 years) when supplies of raw cotton were not available due to the American Civil War, the mill was converted into an integrated woollen plant. In 1924 a detached engine and boiler house were built.
In 1970 the Kenyons left and the premises were taken over by Roeacre Dyeing and Spinning. It then became a bleach works.River Roch Crimble Mill
Listed buildings consent for demolition was refused in October 1983 in a battle between Rochdale Council, Heywood Civic Society and the Roe Acre Company. It followed an appeal by the Roe Acre company against a previous council decision not to allow demolition. At the time Roe Acre claimed that the mill was adding 20 per cent to the company’s production costs, but the council still refused permission to demolish it.
Crimble Mill till now stands strong, but for how much longer.
Click HERE for our Crimble Mill Facebook Album