Church Steps Blue Plaque Church Steps pre-1660, repaired 19th century Possibly dating back to the 12th century, these steps have been the key route linking the town centre to the Church of St Chad for hundreds of years. Mourning relatives would climb these steps and scatter rue & rosemary in ‘Gods Acre’ (St Chad’s Churchyard)…
Champness Hall Blue Plaque Champness Hall Opened 8th September 1925 This hall bears the name of Thomas Champness (1832-1905), a Methodist minister and pioneer in lay training and community projects. His friend, Charles Heap J.P. founded the ‘Rochdale Mission’ which was housed in this building, so named in commemoration of Champness. Regular worship sessions were held in…
Rochdale Market Blue Plaque
Rochdale was one of the first towns in Lancashire to obtain Market Charter (1251).
The market was held in this vicinity until the mid 18th. Thrice – yearly cattle markets continued here until 1887
Church Lane, Rochdale