Peter Cowap Blue Plaque
Peter Cowap 1944-1997
The home of Middleton singer songwriter and guitarist par excellence. “Every night’s a Saturday night’.
Inside the Old Boar’s Head, Middleton
Parish School 1842
Grade II listed building
National school erected for St Leonard’s Church by Reverend Richard Dunford (later Bishop of Chichester). Extended 1892 by Reverend T.E. Cleworth. Last used as a school in 1979.
Nature’s Nursery, Long Street, Middleton
Peterloo Demonstration 1819
The Middleton contingent congregated here in Barrowfield and marched to St Peter’s Field in Manchester led by Sam Bamford. The meeting, popularly known as “Peterloo Massacre”, was in support of the vote for the working classes. 16 Middleton people were injured.
69 Morton Street, Middleton
Middleton Gardens Blue Plaque Middleton Gardens and Suffield Square 1934 Formerly the location of the Corn Mill Lodge, and part of the Gardens of Middle-ton Hall. Established as Central Gardens in 1934 by Middleton Borough Council. Suffield Square was named after the Suffield Family of Gunton, Norfolk, absentee Lord of the Manor of Middleton 1765-1848. (As…
St Leonard’s Square
Once the focal point for the old town which before the Industrial Revolution occupied the ridge towards Rochdale. Nearby street names – High Street and Cheapside – identify the old town. Cottage silk weaving was practised in the surrounding area.
St Leonard’s Church, Middleton
Old Market Place 1791
Facing this plaque was the Old Market Place. Lord Suffield obtained a Market Charter from George III in 1791 to hold a weekly market and three annual fairs. Suffield built warehouses, a market house and shambles at his own expense.
27 Long Street, Middleton