Gordon Harvey 31 December 1858 – 6 November 1922 Alexander Gordon Cummins Harvey was a Rochdale cotton manufacturer,merchant and Liberal politician. Member of Parliament for Rochdale 1906–1918 Gordon Harvey (as he was usually known) was born in Manchester and was the son of Cummins Harvey, a partner in the cotton yarn and cloth manufacturing firm of Fothergill and Harvey. Gordon…
Jessie Fothergill Blue Plaque
Jessie Fothergill 1851-1891
Novelist who captured the lives of working people in the local cotton mills in the 19th century. Lived for some years in a house near-by.
New England Furniture shop, Todmorden Road, Littleborough
Enid Stacy Blue Plaque
Enid Stacy 1868-1903
International and local speaker and writer on the welfare of working people and women’s right to vote lived in Calderbrook Vicarage and worshipped at St. James with her husband the Reverend Percy Wildrington.
St James Church, Calderbrook Road (right gatepost)
Royal Oak Blue Plaque Royal Oak Blue Plaque is now “Black” for some reason? Royal Oak P.H. Late 18th century. An original posting inn with stables and large land holdings, used by the famous dialect writer Tim Bobbin as the base of his work “a view of the Lancashire Dialect”. G. Stephenson, the railway engineer,…
John Collier Blue Plaque Near to this spot was “Tim Bobbin’s school” John Collier (1708-1786) Born in Urmston, was an apprentice dutch loom weaver who became a teacher. He lived in Milnrow most of his adult life and in 1742 became master of the school. Under the pen name of “Tim Bobbin”, he was an…
Littleborough Toll House Blue Plaque Toll House C. 1824 Summary of tolls on the Blackstone Edge Turnpike Road from the Act of 1735. The Toll prices were displayed on a board above the door. Every drove of calves, hogs, sheep or lamb 5d Every drove of dren or neat cattle per score 10d Every coach,…
The Falcon Inn Blue Plaque The Falcon Inn P.H, 18-20 Church Street, Littleborough Early 19th Century From 1657 the inn and the farm covered land down to the river. The building became a Coaching Inn in the early nineteenth century. At this time the main activities took place in the square at the rear where…
Coach House Blue Plaque
Coach House Heritage Centre, 18th century.
Originally used by stages calling at the Falcon Inn for changes of horses and stabling. It overlooks the square in which an ancient fair was held. Restored by the Coach House trust, a group representing local voluntary organisations and commerce 1980-1988.
Lodge Street, Littleborough
Bull Brow Blue Plaque Bull Brow pre-1851 It’s believed that the name of this passage comes from cattle brought to the nearby slaughterhouses. This pathway led to the River Roch where bull-baiting was a regular attraction until the fatal event of November 8 1820, which marked the end of this savage pastime in Rochdale. Karen…
Hare Hill Park Littleborough
Hare Hill Park Littleborough, photo by Eileen Lawless
Hare Hill Park Littleborough, showing the bandstand that was presented to the people of Littleborough by Mr J Cryer in 1902.