Blue Bell Inn Blue Plaque (Red) Blue Bell Inn Grade II Listed Building 1745-1911 One of only four public houses listed in the 1626 Manor Survey of Rochdale. The Blue Bell (rebuilt 1745) derives its name from the medieval church bell traditionally painted blue. 20 Newgate, Rochdale Joe Kozarzewski where was it exactly Paul Jones Outside…
Church of Saint Edmund Blue Plaque Church of Saint Edmund Grade I Listed 1870- 1873 Church of Saint Edmund Blue Plaque is situated on the main gatepost of the Church The outstanding Freemasonic architecture represents the pinnacle of James Medland and Henry Taylors’ architectural skills. The building was funded by notable Rochdale banker, industrialist…
Coach House Blue Plaque
Coach House Heritage Centre, 18th century.
Originally used by stages calling at the Falcon Inn for changes of horses and stabling. It overlooks the square in which an ancient fair was held. Restored by the Coach House trust, a group representing local voluntary organisations and commerce 1980-1988.
Lodge Street, Littleborough
Saint Chads Vicarage Blue Plaque
Saint Chad’s Vicarage
Grade II Listed Building Circa 1726
Built for the Reverend Dunster, the design was based on a similar house in London.
Union Flag Inn Blue Plaque
Union Flag Inn
Grade II Listed Building
In 1745 a confrontation between the forces of Bonnie Prince Charlie and the town authorities took place here. Built as a residence it is a particularly early instance of accomplished classical architecture. Used as a bank since 1930.
Roch Bridge Blue Plaque
Roch Bridge 1910 to 1926
The River Roch is bridged for a distance of 445 metres – the widest bridge in Europe. Originally dating from at least the early 17th century, it was first extended from Yorkshire Street to Wellington Bridge in 1904 and again in 1910, 1923 and 1926.
Remembrance Gardens Blue Plaque
Rochdale Remembrance Gardens
These gardens were constructed by the County Borough of Rochdale in compliance with a decision of the towns meeting called by the then Mayor (Councillor Norman Richards Woolfenden J.P.) on 14th April 1947. A fitting Memorial to the Gallant fallen of the 1939-1945 War.
Touchstones Blue Plaque Touchstones Rochdale 1884 Touchstones Rochdale Grade II listed 1884 (extended in 1903 and 1913) The Rochdale Town Hall fire of 1883 destroyed the clock tower library and led to the opening of the purpose built ‘Free Public Library’ one year later. The library was extended to include a Museum and Art Gallery,…
Wet Rake Gardens Blue Plaque
Wet Rake Gardens c.1909
Marking the top of this historic shopping street, Wet Rake Gardens replaced the Union Foundry, once owned by iron and brass founders John Halstead & Co.
Please Comment Below?
The Walk Blue Plaque The Walk pre-1824 A key part of the urban fabric of Rochdale since the industrial revolution, this narrow ‘ginnel’ (historic street) has been a well-used route in the town centre for centuries. The walk was created by the Vavasour family to obtain easy access from their house (now The Lloyds bank) to…
County Court Blue Plaque
County Court 1875
Originally designed as a Post Office to house the increasing demands of a growing Rochdale, this building was the County Court of Rochdale from the 1930’s to 1998.
Roger Fenton Blue Plaque
Roger Fenton (1819-1869)
Pioneer Photographer and co-founder of The Royal Photographic Society was born here on the 28th March 1819
Sponsored by John Renwick Union Cordage LTD
Unveiled by Prof’ John Hannavy 28th March 2004
Some of Roger Fenton’s Photographs