Frederick William Jackson Blue Plaque
Frederick William Jackson 1859-1918
Childhood home of the artist.
(where it should be)
360-362 Grimshaw Lane, Middleton
Parish School 1842
Grade II listed building
National school erected for St Leonard’s Church by Reverend Richard Dunford (later Bishop of Chichester). Extended 1892 by Reverend T.E. Cleworth. Last used as a school in 1979.
Nature’s Nursery, Long Street, Middleton
Peterloo Demonstration 1819
The Middleton contingent congregated here in Barrowfield and marched to St Peter’s Field in Manchester led by Sam Bamford. The meeting, popularly known as “Peterloo Massacre”, was in support of the vote for the working classes. 16 Middleton people were injured.
69 Morton Street, Middleton
Middleton Gardens Blue Plaque Middleton Gardens and Suffield Square 1934 Formerly the location of the Corn Mill Lodge, and part of the Gardens of Middle-ton Hall. Established as Central Gardens in 1934 by Middleton Borough Council. Suffield Square was named after the Suffield Family of Gunton, Norfolk, absentee Lord of the Manor of Middleton 1765-1848. (As…
Gordon Harvey 1858-1922
MP for Rochdale 1906-1918,
political idealist, enlightened mill owner, local benefactor and pioneer environmentalist lived here.
Townhouse, junction with Townhouse Road and Carriage Drive, Littleborough
Littleborough Toll House Blue Plaque Toll House C. 1824 Summary of tolls on the Blackstone Edge Turnpike Road from the Act of 1735. The Toll prices were displayed on a board above the door. Every drove of calves, hogs, sheep or lamb 5d Every drove of dren or neat cattle per score 10d Every coach,…
The Falcon Inn Blue Plaque The Falcon Inn P.H, 18-20 Church Street, Littleborough Early 19th Century From 1657 the inn and the farm covered land down to the river. The building became a Coaching Inn in the early nineteenth century. At this time the main activities took place in the square at the rear where…